The Patron Saint of Energy Geeks: A Guest Post

September 18, 2009 at 1:32 pm 6 comments

We all love IBM’s Andy Stanford Clark, the seed around which the HomeCamp community initially crystallised, so we’re very happy to have him posting here.

I gave a talk at HomeCamp’08, telling everyone about my home automation system, energy monitoring, and of course my electronic mousetraps. I thought it was time for an update. More recently I’ve linked my automated home up to Twitter, so I get an ambient, background, sense of what’s happening at home, and home much power we’re using.
Like for example, every five pounds worth of electricity each month I get a twitter message. When the phone rings, I get a direct message from twitter to my phone as an SMS, telling me who called, so I can decided whether to call them back.

This recently picked up quite a lot of media attention, and my house appeared on the BBC News – here’s Rory Cellan-Jones’ blog about it –  Things That Tweet and here’s the news piece that went out on BBC and a few other places round the world.

Richard MacManus recently wrote in ReadWriteWeb about the “Internet of Things“, the House that Twitters, and the IBM vision of a Smarter Planet, that is Instrumented, Interconnected and Intelligent. That’s what it’s all about, and that’s why HomeCamp, and the great community around it, are so important.

And of course, as we move outwards from the home, into the Smart energy grid, we have to work out how to integrate micro-generation capabilities – wind and solar at people’s houses, and manage the recharging of hybrid and electric vehicles. Having everything fitted with sensors, talking to the internet, and applying significant compute power to make sense of that sea of data, becomes increasingly essential to running the system efficiently. This is described in an article in the Guardian recently.

photo credit Benjamin Ellis.

About these ads

Entry filed under: blog. Tags: .

Useful links and news stories Energy Camp 3 UK: The Autumn Edition

6 Comments Add your own

• 1. break up no contact rule  |  July 3, 2014 at 1:21 am

The monarchies sold monopoly rights in order to raise revenue.
    In addition, you should be focusing on yourself
    during the no contact period. At the first sign of trouble,
    we were banished to a sick room where we were to
    remain in quarantine until Mom declared us healthy again.

• 2. woodiespecs.com  |  July 10, 2014 at 2:24 pm

May I simply jjust ssay what a relief to finnd somebody that rrally understands what they arre discussing over the internet.
    You actually understand how to brinng an issue to light and make it important.
    More people have tto read this and understand this side of the story.

I was surprised you’re not more popular since you suely possess the
    gift.

• 3. Renate  |  August 26, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources baqck to
    your webpage? My blog sire is in the exact same niche as yours annd myy
    visitors would certainly benefit from a loot of
    the information you prsent here. Pleawe let me know if this
    oka with you. Many thanks!

• 4. http://access-support.com/index.php/pricing-info  |  August 26, 2014 at 5:36 pm

I like the helpdul information you provide in your articles.
    I’ll bookmark your blog and check again hee regularly.

I am quite certain I will learn lots of new stuff
    right here! Best of luck for the next!

• 5. Freda  |  September 1, 2014 at 2:19 am

Prettƴ! This was аn incredibly wonderul post. Thank you for providing this info.

• 6. Royal Revolt 2 cheat  |  September 6, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Original Royal Revolt Windows Game was actually one of the primary unquestionably premium game titles
    with respect to Windows 8. The adventure play bundled
    simple a touch screen battlee complete with minor method parts, developing anny
    kind of habit-forming invert tower system safeguard
    adventure.

Royal Revolt 2 Video Game considerably enhances items to some entirely Gamer-Versus-Gamer fighting concentration. The good thing is, the
    addictive verizon core game-play holss out practically fully
    intact.

Protect aas well as shield

Rather tan the initial computer game, Royal Revolt 2 for
    windows 8 andd windows 8 phone comes with a particular tower system defensive factor.
    Yoou now construct the particular war wwhich usually entering competitors will observe enroute
    to your adventure. Attackkers get a section of your current gold designed for each
    tower and een defending format they annihilate.
    If yiur realky good manages to knock down your current castle
    entrance, they can disappear which have a substantial component of your main loot however, noot ever all of it They
    juet need a limited tike to finalize the invasion.

Laying down the entire defending path can bbe somewhat less complicated.
    Gemstones together with ruins prohibit regions of
    build-able terrain. It all costs gemstones to help you verry clear the path, so
    not nechessarily anybody iss able help to make place.

Thhe size of the road,variety of podiums and also barricades /
    traps, combined with wellbeing with the Castle Gates by itself are extremely
    determined by a new gates place. Particular person towers as
    welll as defense must also possibly bbe flattened separately.